Sean C. Hayes
Managing Partner (NYC Office)
Hayes & Simon, P.C.
Sean Hayes (NY Attorney-at-Law) was, recently, rated a Top 100 lawyer; one of the Top International Lawyers; and lead a team that was rated a top Dispute Resolution Law Firm. Sean is, often, quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg and other leading new sources on matters facing Korea, China and the United States.
New York Attorney Sean Hayes grew up in Connecticut and New York to an Irish-immigrant father and an Italian mother. He is a U.S. and Irish National. He received his legal education in Korea, the United States and in the U.K.
Sean Hayes is the first non-Korean employed by the Korean Court System (Constitutional Court of Korea) and one of the first non-Koreans to be a full-time regular member of a Korean law faculty. Sean taught justices at the Constitutional Court of Korea, judges at courts throughout Korea and government officials international contract law, constitutional law and criminal procedure.
Sean is known, over his 17+ years working in the legal industry for his aggressive advocacy and candid NY-style street-smart advice.
- Constitutional Court of Korea, Research Officer.
- Associate Professor, Kookmin University College of Law.
- Adj. Professor, Seoul National University, Graduate School of Public Administration.
- Dean, International Affairs, UPeace, UN-Delegated University.
- Columnist & Ombudsman, Korea Times.
- Quoted, Profiled and Interviewed by Wall Street Version, NY Times, Bloomberg & Korean vernaculars.
- Seoul National University, Ph.D. Cand.
- University of London, International Law.
- QU School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Santa Clara Law School, Summer Abroad.
- Fordham University/Fairfield University, BA.
- Notre Dame High School, West Haven, CT.
- Admitted to the New York State Bar
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Charter Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, NY Bar Association
- Member, NY City Bar Association
- One of only two non-Koreans rated a Top Attorney by LawAsia.
- Member of a Team that is Rated Dispute Resolution Law Firm of Year.
- Who’s Who in Franchise Law.
- Who’s Who in the World.
- Rated Excellent (10) by AVVO.
- Best Advice Blog, K-Blog Awards.
- Top 25 Blog by LexisNexis.
- Top Blog in AVVO’s listing of blogs.
- Who’s Who in Entertainment Law.
- U.S. Political Question Doctrine Defined, American Journal of Constitutional Law (2015).
- U.S. Political Question Doctrine Application to Korean Constitutional Law, Korean Const. Court Journal (2014).
- Korean Franchising, A Global Guide, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters (2018).
- Korean Employment & Labor Law, Global Legal Insights 6th Edition, Global Legal Group (2018).
- The Korean Labor Market under the Moon Administration, 2018 Discovering Business, Allurentis (2018).
- Korean Business in the Global Economy, Chapter in Book (2014).
- Over 100 Op-Ed in various international publications.
- Quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Korea Times, Korean Herald and various other publications.
- Taught law classes for Santa Clara University; Seoul National University; Kookmin University; University for Peace; and the Supreme Court of Korea.
- Registration of a leading bakery franchise Numerous franchise registrations conducted for franchisors in North America and Asia.
- Challenge to the suspension of students from a university in New York for political speech.
- Numerous Equal Employment Opportunity Commission & Merit System Protection Board disputes government agencies.
- International Arbitration between an international construction company and a major conglomerate.
- Representation of leading defense companies in overseas expansion and contracts with governments.
- Representation of leading real estate development companies in global expansion.
- Localization and enforcement of an eight-figure commercial debt.
- Not guilty verdict for the president of a major foreign defense company.
- Resolution of numerous divorce and custody matters for executives of companies.
- Successful resolution of a customs and tax audit for a leading international chemical company.
- Representation of leading franchisors in global expansion.
- Local counsel for a leading international law firm’s Fortune 500 client in a trade dispute leading to a tariff on the products of a conglomerate.
- Successful market entry of a leading e-commerce site into Asia.
- FTC corporate compliance advisory services for a major online e-commerce site in Korea.
- Consultation services related to licensing, joint ventures and regulatory compliance issues for an American real estate developer’s shopping mall projects in Asia.
- Successful resolution of numerous disputes between Franchises and a franchisees.
- Enforcement and monitoring of trademarks for numerous clients.
- Successful challenge of a registered trademark for an international fashion brand.
- Complete restructuring of the HR compliance department for an international retailer.
- Numerous successful terminations of employees of companies.
Sean Hayes (NY Attorney-at-Law)
Managing Partner (NYC Office)
Hayes & Simon, P.C.