New changes in how New York Court’s Commercial Division will have litigant file confidential documents submitted takes effect today.
The changes are part of an amendment to the division’s Standard Form of Confidentiality Order that establishes a more formal process for submitting confidential documents in an e-filed case.
Litigants in counties with mandatory e-filing (like New York County) will be able to file redacted versions of the confidential documents, but then must move to seal the documents within seven days or they will be required to take steps to replace the redacted filings with un-redacted versions.
Previously, litigants could file confidential documents as hard copies with a motion to seal, or sidestep the process of obtaining a formal motion to seal and submit papers directly to the assigned judge’s chambers without filing them. This created problems for New York appeals because without a proper motion on file, the appellate record would not include the confidential documents.
If your New York business is involved in commercial litigation, or is contemplating commercial litigation, make sure your attorney is aware of these new rules so that your confidential information remains confidential.
*Gene Berardelli may be contacted at: GeneBerardelli@ipglegal.com
Gene is a New York street-smart attorney with an extreme passion for success. Gene specializes in litigation, arbitration and general corporate law for New York-based and international clients. He, also, is the host of a popular New York talk radio program.
- New York Franchisors: Start Thinking About Filing Your NYS Tax Documents
- Beating Summary Judgment in a New York Court: NY Litigation Basics
- International Law Basics: Authenticating International Documents In New York
- Protect Your NY Business From The Top 3 Risks To Your Confidential Information
- New York Shareholder, Member and Partnership Business Disputes in New York: New York Business Dispute/Litigation Basics
- Remember To Obtain “Certified” Translation of Documents Accompanying U.S. Immigration Applications